Wednesday, February 23, 2011

STRANGE DENTAL REQUESTS

Being a dentist might seem like a straightforward profession. But those taking part in the Chicago Dental Society's latest survey show it's not always business as usual when addressing people in the chair. They're sharing some of the more bizarre requests they've received from patients. One person was hoping the dentist would help in the aftermath of a failed relationship, asking, quote, "I just broke off my engagement. Can you prepare my tooth so that I can keep the diamond in it?" Another patient has lobbied for professional dental care on a daily basis with, quote, "I will pay you or your hygienist to floss my teeth at my office every day." Other odd questions dentists have heard include, quote, "Can you ID this set of dentures left in the bathroom of the bar I work at?" and "Can I keep the teeth you pull out of my mouth? I'd like to make a necklace out of them." But Chicago Dental Society members say a request for cross-species service -- "Can you give my dog braces?" -- ranks as the strangest request they've ever received.

The Chicago Dental Society's Top Ten Strangest Patient Requests

1. "Can you give my dog braces?"
2. "Can I keep the teeth you pull out of my mouth? I'd like to make a necklace out of them."
3. "May I have an emergency cleaning visit? It's my high school reunion and I need a bright, white smile to face my old boyfriend."
4. "Will you give me local anesthesia in my lips? I'm going in for permanent "lipstick" tattoos on my lips, and would like to avoid the pain."
5. "I just broke off my engagement. Can you prepare my tooth so that I can keep the diamond in it?"
6. "Pull all my teeth, and just give me dentures."
7. "I will pay you or your hygienist to floss my teeth at my office every day."
8. "Can you ID this set of dentures left in the bathroom of the bar I work at?"
9. "Please wire my mouth shut to aid in my diet."
10. "Can you extract my tooth without anesthesia?"